Portent of the Future

I had never been an overly-"believing" individual. I firmly believe in the Creator, and try to live my life the best I can. However, I do not attend church and do not belong to an organized religion. So when problems occur in my life I am usually looking for concrete solutions that I can implement on my own rather than relying on the spiritual.

My husband and I had tried to conceive a child for almost two years. The effort had began to produce so much stress it was beginning to take a toll on our relationship. His father was terminally ill and fading fast. We had financial difficulties as my husband had just recently returned to work after a period of six months being unemployed. I came to the realization that for some reason, we were not to be blessed with a child.

One morning I woke up sobbing. My husband asked me why I was crying. I sat up in the bed, grabbed the kleenex, and explained that I had had the strangest dream. In my dream I saw a little tow-head boy standing in a pair of overalls with his hands hooked through the suspenders. This was the most beautiful child I had ever seen and I was unable to speak - only stare. He appeared to be around two years old and he looked up at me and smiled the most beautiful smile and said, "My name's Jake!" with all the confidence of the very innocent. That was the end of the dream.

I woke up so sad because I knew that Jake would never be a part of my life.

Three weeks later, my father-in-law was bearly hanging on. Life was so stressful that I wasn't sleeping, and I could barely concentrate at work. One day my stomach was feeling upset and I put my hand on my stomach as my boss walked by. She looked at me standing in the doorway, and asked if I was okay. I told her I was, but I wasn't feeling very well. A strange look appeared on her face, and she said "That's because you are pregnant." I looked at her and laughed, and told her I wished. That night my father-in-law passed away. The next evening we were sitting in their house, looking through various items from his past, reliving stories and generally obtaining comfort from handling objects that had meant a lot to him. My husband held up a pair of leather baby shoes. He had worn them when he was a baby; and his father had worn them; and HIS father as well. My mother-in-law gently pressed them into my hands and asked me to keep the shoes. With the dream, my father in law's passing, and feeling unwell, this was too much for me to handle and I quickly left; leaving my husband to remain with his family.

As I was driving home, for some strange reason I stopped in at the drugstore to get some antiacids and ended up walking out with a pregnancy test. I took it that night; but couldn't tell the results. I showed it to my husband that night, and we agreed that we wouldn't get excited yet but would test again in the morning. After a sleepless night I finally got out of bed at 5:00 a.m. and tested again; POSITIVE!

My family was convinced that the baby would be a girl; ultrasound was inconclusive. But from the day that I found out I was pregnant, I knew that I was carrying a boy. God had given me my Jake. He's now a beautiful, happy three-year-old that wears overalls all of the time. He is my life; and he is definitely my precious angel.

1st class angel